Safer Culture, Better Care
The South West Patient Safety Collaborative is helping healthcare teams to assess, improve and build on good practice in relation to safety culture.
This includes the assessment of safety culture using a safety culture assessment tool in the form of a survey called SCORE (safety, communication, operational risk, resilience and reliability, and engagement).
Thousands of staff have already taken part in the programme, leading to excellent results and new ways of working.
“Safety Culture assessment has given us a valuable way of delving down into a deeper layer of understanding and insight into how we work together and adjusted our view enough to protect us from ourselves and to continue to develop, grow and thrive but in a more healthy and sustainable way!” Tina Campbell, Associate Director, Mental Health Trust
View our Safety Culture, Better Care poster, which was presented at The International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare in May 2018.
Benefits of participating:
- A better understanding of your local team culture
- Opportunities to identify learning and improvement
- Identify opportunities to improve communication
- Identify opportunities to improve teamwork
- Improved engagement with staff
- Running the survey twice to assess changes
- Resources to promote the survey
- Survey launched and responses monitored externally
- Updates on response rates
- Debriefing for team managers
- Access to and the opportunity to join a debriefing community
- Advice on improving safety culture
How to apply: if you want to discuss being part of the programme please contact the South West Patient Safety Collaborative by emailing Joanna Pendray at firstname.lastname@example.org
The SW AHSN's 'Safer Culture, Better Care - the SCORE assessment tool' case study is now available to read on the AHSN Network's Atlas of Solutions. Atlas is an online resource that shares some of the very best examples, from across the Academic Health Science Networks, of how to spread high impact innovation across the health and care system.
We have worked with healthcare colleagues and partners across the region to develop a number of blogs relating to Safety Culture and SCORE. Click on the links below to read them:
- Transforming the safety culture across all theatres at Musgrove Park Hospital - by Helen Satchell, Theatre Practice Educator in the Surgery, Theatres and Critical Care Directorate at Musgrove Park Hospital
- Improving team culture to deliver safe sustainable services for patients - by Carrie Biddle, Therapies Clinical Governance and Quality Lead at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
- SCORE survey at Livewell Southwest - by Vicky Clarke, Matron, Glenbourne Unit (part of Livewell Southwest)
- Our positive experiences using SCORE Safety Culture Survey - by Tina Campbell is Associate Director Medicines Optimisation / Controlled Drugs Accountable Officer at Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Safety Culture Programme helps St Austell Healthcare make improvements in challenging times - by Dr Alastair Lockwood, GP, St Austell
- Using SCORE Safety Culture Survey in the Emergency Department at Derriford Hospital - by Dr Annette Rickard, Consultant in Emergency Medicine at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth
- A Safe Space to Talk: Collateral Benefits of Safety Culture debriefings - Susanne Smith is a Lecturer at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine & Dentistry
- What we do
- National programmes
- Patient Safety Collaborative
- Innovation Exchange